Tofu Masala Rice is a great vegan Indian recipe presented in a lot of homes as a main course, or with a lovely vegetable raita of your choice. This great tofu curry Indian style recipe can be made in a hurry when you need to have dinner ready in less than an hour. Vegan Indian recipes are beginning to trend as they have an abundance of flavors which can overtake any meat product. Since tofu is high in fiber and protein this tofu curry Indian style dish adds a ton of creaminess taking you all the way to flavor town.
Sometimes within vegan Indian recipes tofu as a veggies doesn’t win everyone over as a favorite tofu curry Indian style dish, but with the right combination of spices, this veggie Masala will wow any crowd, and has been added on our favorite vegan Indian recipes list.
If you like this recipe, you can also try
Prep in20 M
Cooks in45 M
Total in65 M
- 1 cup Rice
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 2 Onions , chopped
- 2 Tomatoes , chopped
- 1/2 Red Yellow or Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 cup Tofu , cut into cubed
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander leaves (Dhania) , to garnish
Tofu Masala Rice Recipe
- First for the Tofu masala rice, wash and soak basmati rice in water for 1/2 an hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a sauce pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add chopped onions, green chilli and ginger garlic paste and saute till onion turns golden brown.
- Now add the tomatoes and capsicum in the pan along with chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala. and let it cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the diced tofu along with salt and saute till the tofu turns little brown in colour.
- Add 2 cups of water and check for salt. (add more salt if necessary).
- Cover the pan and once the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and simmer until all the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for about 5 minutes before opening.
- Lastly, garnish the dish with chopped coriander and serve hot with Tomato Onion Cucumber Raita Recipe or any other vegetable raita of your choice.