Tofu Masala Rice is a great Indian recipe that can be offered as a main dish, or with any vegetable raita of your desire. You can make this delicious meal on days you just need food to be ready in less than an hour. With the Tofu rice being high in fiber and protein it also adds an amazing creaminess flavor. Sometimes tofu as a veggie doesn’t please everyone’s palate, but with the right combination of spices, this veggie Masala will take you to flavor town!
If you like this recipe, you can also try
Prep in20 M
Cooks in45 M
Total in65 M
- 1 cup Rice
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 2 Onions , chopped
- 2 Tomatoes , chopped
- 1/2 Red Yellow or Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 cup Tofu , cut into cubed
- Salt , to taste
- Coriander leaves (Dhania) , to garnish
Tofu Masala Rice Recipe
- First for the Tofu masala rice, wash and soak basmati rice in water for 1/2 an hour. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a sauce pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add chopped onions, green chilli and ginger garlic paste and saute till onion turns golden brown.
- Now add the tomatoes and capsicum in the pan along with chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala. and let it cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Now add the diced tofu along with salt and saute till the tofu turns little brown in colour.
- Add 2 cups of water and check for salt. (add more salt if necessary).
- Cover the pan and once the mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat to low and simmer until all the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for about 5 minutes before opening.
- Lastly, garnish the dish with chopped coriander and serve hot with Tomato Onion Cucumber Raita Recipe or any other vegetable raita of your choice.