Southwest-inspired veggie burgers made with chickpeas, green chilies and crushed tortilla chips!
- 2 Shallots, minced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1-2 Tbsp Grape Seed or Avocado Oil
- 1 4-ounce can Mild Green Chilis
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 handful of Fresh Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Finely Crushed Yellow Tortilla Chips
- 2 tsp Coconut or Cane Sugar
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 4 Toasted Sandwich Buns, of your choice
- For Serving: (optional) Salsa, green chilies, ripe avocado, red onion, cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees for a firmer burger. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or you can leave bare..
- Heat a large skillet over medium and once skillet is hot, add 1 Tbsp oil, onion and garlic. Sauté, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent – about 1-2 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add the garlic and shallots. Then add drained chickpeas and use a fork or pastry cutter to mash/mix. A little texture is good, but you only want a few whole chickpeas remaining.
- Add remaining ingredients and 1-2 Tbsp oil. Stir and or mash to combine. You want the texture to turn into a moldable “dough.” If it’s too dry add oil or lime juice. Always taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Divide into 4 even patties. If you need help forming them, line a 1/2 cup measuring cup with plastic wrap and scoop out 1/2 cup amounts (use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for 8 smaller burgers). Press to pack them down, then lift out and slightly flatten with hands.
- Use the same skillet and set to medium heat. Once hot, add oil(form thin layer at bottom of skillet). Add only as many burgers that will fit comfortably. Cook 3-4 minutes, flip gently and reducing heat if brown too quickly.
- For a more crispy texture place the burgers on a baking sheet for an additional 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Let stand for 2-3 minutes before serving (they’ll firm up as they cool). Before serving, lay down cilantro on bottom half of a toasted bun. Then top with burger, green chilies, salsa, onion, avocado and any of you favorite toppings.
- Leftovers are always great but place in fridge and eat within a few days.